Cats & Your Halloween Candy Don’t Mix! Here’s Why:

Pets & Your Halloween Candy Don't Mix! Here's Why

Halloween is a fun time for humans, but it can be a dangerous time for cats. Many of the treats that we enjoy during this holiday season can be toxic to our feline friends. In this blog, we will explore why Halloween candy and cats don’t mix and what you can do to keep your cat safe this holiday season.


Chocolate is one of the most popular Halloween treats, but it is toxic to cats. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and even seizures in cats. Dark chocolate and baking chocolate are particularly dangerous.

Sugar-Free Candy:

Many sugar-free candies contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is toxic to cats. Xylitol can cause a rapid insulin release, leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and liver failure in cats. Symptoms can include vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and even death.

Hard Candy and Lollipops:

Hard candy and lollipops pose a choking hazard for cats, especially if they try to swallow them whole. These candies can also get stuck in the digestive tract, causing blockages that may require surgery.

Candy Wrappers:

Candy wrappers may be tempting for cats to play with, but they can also pose a serious danger. If ingested, candy wrappers can cause blockages in the digestive tract or even perforate the intestines, leading to a life-threatening condition called peritonitis.

Conclusion: While Halloween can be a fun time for humans, it is important to remember that many of the treats that we enjoy can be dangerous for our feline friends. At Guildcrest Cat Hospital we recommend keeping all Halloween candy out of your cat’s reach, and be sure to dispose of candy wrappers properly. If you suspect that your cat has ingested any Halloween candy, contact us immediately. We are here to help keep your cat safe and healthy this holiday season.

Font Resize